Wednesday, December 2, 2009
Deer Season is here!!!
Ok, so usually I am not this avid hunter but I at least go a couple of days through the season just to make the BF happy and so the kids have someone to sit with. This year I have definitely changed my mind about only going for a couple of days. Last year we only had 2 deer to put into the freezer and I must say that I was pretty disapointed when we ran out of tenderloins and deer steak by mid January. The year before last, we had 5 deer to put into the freezer. Boy was that nice. I think that meat lasted clear into the beginning of summer. I love deer meat, as does my BF and 14 yr old daughter. The 16 and 10 year old daughters are not all that crazy about it. The 10 year old will eat it but doesnt jump up and down for it. The 16 year old like to hunt, but will not eat deer meat unless the taste is drowned out with barbecue sauce. (BLECK!!!) And what a waste!!! Now if the BF has the meat made into snack sticks, the kids will practically beat him down in order to get him to give some of it up and share. So I have been out three times already this week and plan on maybe once more before the weekend hits. We ARE going to have more than just one deer in that freezer this year. I told the BF that he might have buy another freezer by the time I fill all three of my tags and then finish dragging the 14 and 16 year old daughters all over the woods till they fill their tags of 3 apiece. Im not a big fan of hunting when it so cold outside that your feet freeze to the ground.....but when its a mild 35 to 40 with no snow.....I will be out everyday!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ahh... I miss being somewhere deer was available... It is delicious! I am jealous of your freezer full! ;-) Enjoy and good luck with the rest of your hunting!
ReplyDeleteI understand the love of deer meat, as my husband's family up in NY are avid hunters! There is also something so wonderful about a freezerful of nutritious food--you just feel so secure :)
ReplyDeletePlus you are helping keep the population managable...
So thanks! :)
LISA,
ReplyDeleteI can say here in Michigan that you would be out everyday of the season from day to night as the season so far is nothing here. My exhusband is a butcher and he said they are lucky if they have had 25 deer in so far to be slaughtered.
I to love deer meat and my kids will eat it as long as I cook it with onions. It doesnt matter if it is burger or steak it has to have onions in it or on the side. They say it makes the meat taste less gamie.
It has all in all been wonderful weather for hunting though, and if I were into it I would probley find alot of enjoyment sitting and waiting with the BF and writing my paper to finish the next unit. I find I do wonderful writing in the open like that. I write all the time outside on the table if the weather is permitting in the summer time.
Anyway have a good couple days of hunting, and it has been wonderful to read your blog post as well as share class time with you. Looking forward to reading your paper if you decide to share it with all.
Sherry W.